"Dress for the job you want, not the job you have." Many have repeated this phrase when asked if certain clothing is appropriate for a specific function. One of the goals of our uniform guidelines is that students learn to dress for success daily.
Uniform pants have gotten more challenging to manage over the past few years. The market is flooded with so many options, it's often hard to know what is or is not uniform compliant.
From the Student Handbook, pg. 8
- Students may wear black, khaki or navy, ankle length, cotton, or corduroy chino pants.
- Pants MUST have belt loops, pockets, and a zipper. Pants may NOT have draw strings.
- Cargo, jeans or denim materials, hip-hugger, or painter pants are NOT acceptable.
- Joggers, sweatpants, yoga pants, and skirts are NOT acceptable.
- No sagging pants (pants must sit on or near the hip).
To be 100% certain the pants you buy meet uniform guidelines, shop our preferred vendor, Lands' End using our link and shop number. Lands' End can meet the needs of every student, even if you don't see what you need on the website. In the event you can't find pants for your hard to fit student, please call the Campus Store (515-222-1012) and we will provide a contact at Lands' End that will be able to help.
Chinos are made from chino cloth and jeans are made from denim. Both materials are essentially cotton; however, chinos are made from chino cotton and jeans are made from cotton denim. Denim is classically a heavier fiber, where chino cloth is typically lighter weight.